White papers are still a bedrock of marketing to IT and execs. And you can expand their value even more by repurposing their in-depth content.
- Write trade journal articles. The paper and article won’t be identical; your white paper promotes your company and technology while a trade journal article is a vendor-neutral thought leadership piece. Build on your themes and conclusions in the white paper to present a technology class as the solution to a challenging customer problem.
- Post blogs. Your white paper can generate a generous amount of postings that break out specific points. And linking to the white paper in each blog will improve your search rankings.
- Podcasts and videos: Use the white paper content to develop podcast and video scripts. You will need to change the formal written text into more colloquial language but the content and points will be there. You can have the subject matter expert record the podcasts and videos or write a script for a spokesperson to deliver.
- Presentations. Create a slide presentation from the white paper content. Post it on SlideShare and use it in talks.
- Social Media. Write statuses relating to the white paper and provide the link in Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Webinars. Produce a webinar around the white paper’s content. Use a download of the paper as the premium for signing up for the webinar.
- Create an infographic. Design an infographic around the white paper content. Be sure to retain a narrative flow.
- Write an eBook. You can adapt a white paper into an eBook by taking the salient points, building chapters around them, and inserting visually compelling graphic content, video, exclusive content, and online resources. It is entirely possible (and a good idea) to create several eBooks out of a single in-depth white paper.